Literati Web Page

January 29, 2012

Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson Review


What a beginning! I got caught up in the book immediately. 
Elisa’s adventure is about to begin, and part of the joy of The Girl of Fire and Thorns is how she triumphs, despite the hardships and challenges she faces: everything from kidnapping to sand storms, from war to death. I loved Elisa, loved how she transformed herself into a person of action.

At its heart, The Girl of Fire and Thorns is about a girl becoming a woman because she realizes her actions have consequences, that life is more than sitting back waiting for things to happen, and that she has choices.  But along with every choice there is a consequence.  I have to add without giving anything away, I loved the romantic elements in this book.

Overall, I would say this is an epic fantasy adventure with a smart, strong and unconventional heroine that made for an interesting and exciting read that kept my interest throughout. There are surprises and the fact that anything can happen to these characters kept me on my toes. I also liked the message behind the story. This is the first book of a trilogy, but the book has a satisfying conclusion on it’s own while leaving Elisa’s path open to new opportunities. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series, Crown of Embers, due out in October 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment